The Seattle Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc.
Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, Inc. was founded on the campus of Indiana University on January 5, 1911. The Fraternity’s fundamental purpose is achievement. Early in this century, African-American students were actively dissuaded from attending college. Formidable obstacles were erected to prevent the few who were enrolled from assimilating into co-curricular campus life. This ostracism characterized Indiana University in 1911, thus causing Elder W. Diggs, Byron K. Armstrong, and eight other black students to form Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity, which remains the only Greek letter organization with its Alpha Chapter on the University’s campus. The founders sought a formula that would immediately raise the visions and insight of black collegians at Indiana University and all over the world. Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Inc. has continued to provide leadership in every field of the human endeavor.
The Seattle Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi has been inspiring service in the public interest since 1954. The men who make up the chapter are pillars of the community who exemplify “achievement in every field of human endeavor”.
One of two (2) scholarships of $1,000 will be given to qualified applicants (High School & Collegiate) based on academic achievement, personal achievement, and community involvement. The funds may be used for tuition and other academic expenses charged by the institution. Awarded funds will be sent directly to the recipient’s school of choice to an account established in the applicant’s name.
Eligibility, Requirements, and Procedures:
- The applicant must be a male high school senior who will complete requirements for graduation between January and June 2023, OR a current male college student.
- The applicant must be currently attending school in King County or Snohomish County
- The applicant must attend college or vocational school during the academic year.
- Completed applications must be postmarked no later than Thursday, April 27, 2023.
- Applications must be submitted on-line (link here) or mailed to:
Seattle Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity Attn: Scholarship Committee
516 22nd Ave E. Seattle, WA 98112
- Incomplete applications will be disqualified. It is your responsibility to ensure that the application is complete and on-time.
- Questions about eligibility or requirements may be directed to: Rev. Terrence Proctor at [email protected] or 206.792.6642.